Thanksgiving is our day. Our blog is named after a snack and an alcoholic beverage, need I say more? However, everyone who’s had to correlate the cook times and temperatures of 10 different dishes, and schedule dinner around football games and children’s naps, knows that as much as Thanksgiving is about food, it’s also about multi-tasking. Oh, and gratitude.
So, why not multitask during the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade by getting your drink on? Responsibly, of course – feel free to use water instead and stop when you should stop.
I’m also including a parallel Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade Exercise Game (Lose Before Chews?). Use that option if you are saving your stomach space for food (that’s me!), want to work off dinner in advance, or aren’t much of a day drinker.
* This list is from 2013, so we’ve added a few 2014-specific additions as well!
One Sip/ One Set* of Jumping Jacks if you see…
- Matt Lauer, and he has an obvious disdain for his cohost
- Marching band from the midwest
- Balloon or float featuring a cartoon character you’ve never heard of
- Reality star from a show you actually watch
- Nick Jonas, and you have to deal with weird grown-up feelings (he’s of age, it’s fine)
- Country singer wearing a cowboy hat
- … and you get choked up seeing Muppets for some reason. Really, what IS that?
- One of the members of KISS sticking his tongue out
- A float or balloon of one of your childhood favorites that’s been gone so long that it’s cool again (example: My Little Pony; Carebears)
Two Sips/ One Set of Burpees if you see…
- Matt Lauer, and the cohost has an obvious disdain for him
- One of the flag girls having an obvious screw-up
- One of the hosts or performers wearing an impractical but lovely white coat, a la Olivia Pope
- Carrie Underwood singing something from The Sound of Music (shameless plug: we’ll be liveblogging the performance on December 5! (of 2013 – oh, what a night it was!))
- Anyone from the cast of Peter Pan performing (yes, we’ll be liveblogging that too, and yes, you can upgrade a Sound Of Music performance to a “chug” scenario, because that already happened.)
- Sandra Lee making something that’s technically gross but seems sort of delicious
- A celebrity with his or her bored-looking teenager or tween
- Mo’ne Davis, and you cry a little bit (she’s inspirational! it’s okay!)
- The hosts refer to bad parade weather in the distant past (>25 years ago)
- Pilgrims in buckle hats
- ALL of the members of KISS sticking their tongues out
One Gulp/ 30-second plank if you see…
- A Broadway performance featuring enthusiastic child actors
- A clearly tangled or deflated balloon
- A performance by an irrelevant musician (peak fame greater than or equal to four years ago)
- A circus
- … and you find it really boring
- A British star even though they don’t even do Thanksgiving JEEZ.
- A Canadian star even though they already had Thanksgiving JEEZ.
Two gulps/ One Set of Pushups if…
- You get interrupted by someone saying “hey, can you come in here and help with…”
- You have to explain to a child or teenager what KISS/ Gene Simmons is all about (actually, if you’re doing the exercise version you can skip the pushups- you’ve already had a mental workout!)
- You spot very obviously out-of-sync lip-synching
- All three Jonas Brothers appear together (they had a bit of a breakup)
- You accidentally fall in love with Taylor Swift during her performance
- A celebrity is on a float to which they have absolutely no connection (example: The cast of Law and Order: SVU on a Mott’s applesauce float)
- The Duck Dynasty guys make a reference to shooting turkeys
- Jimmy Fallon is there, and he delivers a thank-you note
- Jimmy Fallon is there, and he brings Baby Winnie
- Savannah Guthrie is there, and she brings Baby Vale
- A youth choir sings something inspirational (example: Imagine, Somewhere Over The Rainbow)
- There is a touching moment between Allison Williams and Brian Williams
- The hosts deliver a half-accurate history lesson about the first Thanksgiving
Chug**/ Run in place until the next commercial break if…
- There’s a runaway balloon
- You accidentally call new Annie, Quvenzhané Wallis, “the cutest kid in the world” in front of children you’re actually related to. Oops!
- One of the lip-synchers doesn’t even try at all
- A Cirque du Soleil performer falls
- At the end of the parade, you realize you missed the one thing that actually sounded like it would be interesting
* A set is however many you say is a set. We’re not Crossfit, here. Again, we’re named after a snack and an alcoholic beverage.
** Don’t really chug. Puking would really screw up your dinner plans.