Uruguay is way ahead of us … or is it way behind us? On August 24, folks in Uruguay celebrate Nostalgia Night, a celebration of times past. Discos and radio stations play songs from years ago, party-goers dress up in throwback garb, and even Uruguay’s tourism site gets in on the action with a full page dedicated to the day’s events – and there are MANY, from dances to dinner shows to karaoke nights. While the U.S.A. seems caught in a Lisa Frank-tinged wave of ’90s nostalgia at the moment, much of Uruguay’s festivities focus on the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s. A sampling of ‘typical nostalgia night songs – not to be forgotten!’ includes I Will Survive, Jailhouse Rock, YMCA, as well as some more South American tunes. Police are out in full force (and, one can assume, The Police are on the stereo), because things are going to get raucous. It’s even one of the biggest party nights of the year , rivaling Christmas and New Year. Well done, Uruguay.
I’m not surprised Nostalgia Night exists – a quick look around a mall tells me that right now we’re living every day like it’s Nostalgia Night – but I’m sort of surprised the rest of us haven’t made it an official THING like Uruguay. Imagine it: a night where every bar you go to is going to be playing something from the Beatles to the Backstreet Boys. When your outfit of choice could be a full disco getup, or for us younger nostalgic folks, low rise jeans with a going out top. Where bars offer Dunkaroos instead of dirt-peanuts.
Since I won’t be getting to Uruguay today – and trust me, I’d love to be in Uruguay today – I’m sending some of our favorite nostalgia-related posts. After all, Nostalgia Nights in 2037 will probably be people sitting around and reading the internet like they did in 2017.
- The 90s were really fun and everything, but nobody looked as good as the kids do in today’s 90s revival. Here’s the truth of 90s fashion myths vs. realities, as remembered by someone who was a kid at the time.
- The mid-2000s – say, 2004 – 2009 or so – had a style all their own. You may think times haven’t changed, but when was the last time you wore a going-out top or a butt-ruffle?
- Pop Culture Phenomena Of The 1996 Olympics: Where Are They Now? I can’t be the only one who remembers Izzy.
- It’s 2016: Let’s All Decorate Like It’s 1979!
- It’s 1975: Let’s All Decorate Our Porches and Patios!
- It’s The 90s: Let’s All Decorate For Valentine’s Day!
- It’s 1988: Let’s All Decorate For Halloween!
- It’s The 90s: Let’s All Decorate For Christmas!
- It’s 1994: Let’s All Decorate Your Grandma’s House!
- It’s 1996: Let’s All Decorate Our Childhood Bedrooms!
- It’s 1997: Let’s All Decorate With Sponge Painting!
- It’s 1999: Let’s All Decorate With Giant Armoires To Hide Our TVs!
- It’s 1995: Let’s All Decorate With Pale Southwestern Stuff!
- It’s 1990: Let’s All Decorate With Geese In Bonnets!
- The Parent Trap Is Our Aesthetic
- Sister Act 2 Is Our Aesthetic
- The Witches Is Our Aesthetic
- Baseball Movies: A 90s Microtrend Remembered
- Celebrating The Rachel On The 20th Anniversary Of Its Death
- How YOU Doin’: The Lexicon Of Friends
- Live Blog: The Friends Finale, 10 Years Later
- Whatareyoudoinghere: Unexpected Guest Stars Of Friends
- Frankie Says Relax: Most Memorable Friends Fashion Moments
- Underdog, Beef Trifle & Box Living: Best Friends Thanksgiving Episodes
- Clarissa Explains It All
- Are You Afraid Of The Dark
- The Mystery Files Of Shelby Woo
- The Secret World Of Alex Mack
- All That